• April 19MANDATORY Pre-Administration for students taking an AP exam @ the Auditorium on April 30 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.

• April 4Submit your college acceptances to the Morse Code!

• January 9Join the Morse Code! Stop by Room 212 for details!

Filed under News

UCSD SPACES takes Morse students on a SoCal college tour

Morse students attended a Southern California college tour hosted by UC San Diego’s Student Promoted Access Center for Education and Service (SPACES) from Jan. 12 through Jan. 14.

The main aspect of the tour was to provide students with the opportunity to experience what it is like being on an actual college campus.

Over the course of three days, students toured UC San Diego, California State University (CSU) Long Beach, CSU Fullerton, Cal Poly Pomona, CSU Los Angeles, University of California (UC) Los Angeles, and UC Irvine.

“I attended the tour to get a feel of the real-world college experience,” said junior Kaelene Chargualaf.

Usually, students get information on colleges from teachers and counselors, but through the tour, students were exposed to a different perspective on the colleges they visited.

“The tour guides explained the history of the campus and tried to have a more realistic look about it,” Chargualaf said. “They tried to include things the universities weren’t so fond of.”

Hearing about the colleges’ histories and having the chance to explore the campuses made it more clear to what students wanted in their future college.

“Before going, I had a small group of colleges I wanted to apply to, but after, I expanded my choices and it made me differentiate what I wanted in a college campus,” said junior Isabella Cayanan.

The experience of visiting the college campuses of the UC and CSU System in Southern California and hearing from current college students provided the students with insight on colleges they plan to apply to.