Once a Tiger, always a… Bear? Senior Kahtrel Maynard gets accepted to Brown University

American gymnast Gabby Douglas once said, “I give all the glory to God. It’s kind of a win-win situation. The glory goes up to Him and the blessings fall down on me.”

Similarly, senior Kahtrel Maynard gives all of his glory to God for his recent college acceptance.

Maynard was admitted as an early decision applicant to Brown University, a private Ivy League research university in Providence, Rhode Island. His December acceptance is a result of hard work along with academic and athletic excellence.

“I started the application mid-August and spent a lot of time on the four writing supplements,” he said. “I wanted to do the best I could by writing meaningful words and stories.”

With a 9.3% acceptance rate, some students may doubt themselves when applying for admission to the school, especially if their academic profile does not align with the university averages. Maynard holds a 4.41 GPA and a 26 ACT score, having never taken the SAT.

“They wanted a 29 on the ACT, but I took it twice and got the same score,” he admitted. “I was really worried that I wouldn’t get in, so I prayed every night. It got to the point where I accepted my test scores and I realized I should just let God control everything. I thought, if it’s not for me, I can go elsewhere.”

Lo and behold, after one month of what seemed like an excruciatingly long wait, Maynard received an email stating that his online portal had been updated on Dec. 14, 2017.

“I was in the weight room hanging with friends,” he said. “I opened the portal and it read that I was accepted. Everybody was jumping around and genuinely excited for me because they knew it was a dream of mine for a while.”

From the summer preceding his sophomore year, Maynard had conducted extensive research on various colleges before he solidified Brown University as his top choice.

“I kept searching for the right college that would fit me,” he said. “Brown had the ideal location with an area that was city-like, but had a different culture from San Diego. And they also have an open curriculum.”

Brown University’s Open Curriculum excuses the traditional General Education courses that many post-secondary institutions require. As a result, students are encouraged to focus solely on courses needed to obtain their degree and other areas of study that they may be interested in. This is ideal for Maynard, who has an intended major in Biology and an intended career in Cardiothoracic Surgery, but also a strong interest in Political Science and Kinesiology.

Maynard then connected with four Brown alumni who provided him with additional insight into the university along with how to navigate the application process.

“The alumni gave me a deeper understanding of what Brown wants and looks for,” he said. “They made me wonder how can I contribute to the Brown community as opposed to what I can get out of it.”

Regardless of being nearly 3,000 miles away or the total undergraduate cost equating to roughly $70,000, Maynard knows that Brown is where he is destined to be.

“I received a strong financial aid package and the distance isn’t a problem,” he said. “I am definitely attending and very excited about a new experience and to be somewhere where everyone is truly committed to education and success.”

While education will always be a top priority for Maynard, he will play collegiate football as well, even hoping to earn play time despite being a first-year student. He will be the epitome of a “student-athlete.”

“Many people believe that I was accepted because I play football, which is frustrating,” he said. “But I just shake it off. It’s always been inculcated in me that academics will take you farther in life, so I just want to do what is best for me and make my family proud.”

Other personal and immediate goals include finishing his senior year strong and staying motivated being that colleges have the ability to rescind acceptance offers if prospective students fall in their studies. However, this is highly unlikely to occur from Maynard, who owes it all to the man above.

“I still wonder why I was accepted,” he admitted. “And that is all the more reason why I can give God all the glory.”

Whatever the exact reason may be for Maynard’s acceptance, he cannot deny that many blessings are falling down upon him and will continue to fall when he officially becomes a Brown University bear this September.