Filed under Features

Students aim for a bright future through COSMOS informational meeting

Students gather around the presentation, given by senior Aaron Ramos, at the COSMOS informational meeting.

Learning shouldn’t pause on the last day of school.

Summer programs are a great way to make use of summer vacation.

Alumni of the California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science (COSMOS) hosted an informational meeting during lunch on Jan.12 to recruit and educate prospective applicants at room 601.

The meeting consisted of a brief explanation about COSMOS, two alumni presentations on their experiences, and advice for the application process.

“I’m just trying to get students the information if they want to apply because they should really do things over the summer,” urged Eugelyn Lopez, coordinator of the meeting.

One alumnus presented a powerpoint containing highlights from COSMOS which captured the attention of all attendees.

“I wanted to present because my time at COSMOS was the best month of my life,” exclaimed former COSMOS participant, Aaron Ramos. “I want other people to have the same opportunity to attend such a life changing program.”

The informational meeting turned out to be a success due to the amount of interested students that attended and stayed.

“I was extremely surprised,” Ramos insisted. “ I thought that I was presenting for four people.”

COSMOS is a great program for those who want more knowledge about higher education, UC schools, and overall college life.

“I was already planning on going to college, but being surrounded by like-minded students who were genuinely excited about learning inspired me even more,” Lopez recalled. “Even if their area of study in COSMOS is not what they choose, I hope they still have a good time and get something out of it.”

In addition to how great attending COSMOS would look on a college resume it is also a rewarding experience.

“Not only did I improve my computer programming skills, but I also definitely grew as a person,” Ramos pointed out.

COSMOS is known to be a competitive program to get into, but over the years Morse’s presence in the program has grown.

“I think that it’s great how in my year we only had eight people do the program and last year there was 12,” Lopez said. “Morse is getting an opportunity to learn about fields we don’t know about since we come from a low-income school and don’t always get the opportunities that wealthier schools receive.”

Summer should be a time to relax, but it should not be wasted by doing nothing at home.