Filed under Features

Lockdown delays annual Speak Out

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

“Everyone! Inside, now!”

Two hundred people begin rushing inside the cafetorium, screaming—ruining the semi-circle arrangement of chairs set up for Morse’s yearly Speak Out.

This year’s Week Of Consciousness’ Speak Out was set for February 14, 2017, but is postponed to …….. due to a lockdown that occurred minutes before the event was scheduled to begin.

Despite the lockdown being a major let down for people excited to perform, the show must go on.

“Students love the Speak Out,” said junior Danica Angeles. “It’s a safe place as well as a creative outlet for students to talk about anything.”

Angeles takes AP Art History (APAH), and she and several other students taking the course planned a performance for the event.

“APAH is planning to do a sing-a-long performance along with a video in the background,” said junior Abbey Garcia. “The video is the most significant because it shows what being an immigrant or refugee is like. It doesn’t sugarcoat anything.”

Students taking part of APAH’s performance feel passionate about the topic of refugees and immigrants.

“Even though this is only my second Speak Out, it feels empowering knowing that I can be a part of it again and actually perform this time,” Garcia continued. “We all have a voice, and APAH is sharing ours through our performance.”

Students who do not directly have a connection to immigrants and refugees still emphasize and denounce the injustices done to people suffering.

“To me, as a person of color, it’s very sad that there are other people in the world who are being treated just as bad or even worse,” said junior Selina Lopez. “I am one of the lucky ones.”

Although Speak Out is postponed, students are still adamant on getting the opportunity to use their voice.

“Speak Out is a chance for people to say what they want on topics that matter,” Lopez said. “A lot of times people are put down and told they can’t say anything, especially younger people, because adults think that we don’t know anything, but times are changing, and kids have so much knowledge these days.”

Though Speak Out traditionally occurs during the Week of Consciousness, the open-mic will still be as significant and impactful as it has been for the last 11 years.

About the Writer
Therese Pamplona, Editor-in-Chief

"Baby shark, doo doo doo doo."