Filed under News, Showcase

Day of action in memory of the Parkland shooting victims

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School's main building. (Source: wikipedia.org)

On Feb. 14, a mass shooting occurred at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. 17 were killed and more were injured, including many students and staff workers at the school.

Exactly a month after the fatalities, many schools across the nation will be partaking in a day of action on Mar. 14 at 10 a.m. to honor the 17 victims and their bravery. One minute of reverence will be given for each victim, to remember them and the imprint they’ve left on their friends and family.

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14.

Alyssa Alhadeff was 14 years old, and a freshman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (MSDHS). She loved to play soccer and played on the Parkland Travel Soccer team. Alhadeff wanted to pursue a career in law or in professional soccer.

Scott Beigel, 35.

Scott Beigel was 35 years old, and was MSDHS’s geography teacher and cross-country coach. He was shot as he left the classroom trying to help students inside. Beigel was also a counselor at the Camp Starlight in Pennsylvania.

Martin Duque Anguiano, 14.

Martin Duque Anguiano was 14 years old, and a freshman at MSDHS. On a GoFundMe page started by his brother, he was described as a “very funny kid, outgoing and sometimes really quiet”.

Nicholas Dworet, 17.

Nicholas Dworet was 17 years old, and a senior at MSDHS. He had committed to the University of Indianapolis in the fall on a scholarship for his achievement in swimming. Dworet dreamed of making the Olympic swimming team in Tokyo 2020.

Aaron Feis (left), 37.

Aaron Feis was 37 years old, and the assistant football coach and security guard at MSDHS. He was killed after he threw himself in front of a group of students to shield them from the gunfire. Feis was known for being selfless and caring, touching the hearts of his students and athletes.

Jamie Guttenberg, 14.

Jamie Guttenberg was 14 years old, and a freshman at MSDHS. Her father, Fred Guttenberg, shared on Facebook, “Jennifer Bloom Guttenberg and I lost our baby girl to a violent shooting at her school. We lost our daughter, and my son Jesse Guttenberg lost his sister.”

Chris Hixton, 49.

Chris Hixton was 49 years old, and the athletic director of MSDHS. The students remember him as a very giving and kind man, as he would often give them lunch money if needed or even open up his home to them. He was also a former navy man, and was very proud to be American.

Luke Hoyer, 15.

Luke Hoyer was 15 years old, and a student at MSDHS. He was a very well behaved student who “never got in trouble”, as described by his grandparents in South Carolina. His close knit family is shocked by his passing, and were in denial until he didn’t come home that night.

Cara Loughran, 14.

Cara Loughran was 14 years old, and a freshman at MSDHS. She had a passion for Irish dancing, and performed with the Drake School of Irish Dance in South Florida. The dance school described her as a “beautiful soul”, and expressed that she always seemed to have a smile on her face.

Gina Montalto, 14.

Gina Montalto was 14 years old, and a freshman at MSDHS. She was part of the school’s winter guard on the marching band. One of her middle school instructors for color guard told The Miami Herald that Montalto “was the sweetest soul ever.”

Joaquin Oliver, 17.

Joaquin Oliver was 17 years old, and a junior at MSDHS. He loved football, basketball, the Venezuelan national soccer team, urban graffiti and hip-hop, and became a U.S. citizen in Jan. 2017 after immigrating from Venezuela when he was three. He went by the nickname “Guac”, and was known for being a goofball–according to 19 year old Tyra Hemans, his long time friend.

Alaina Petty, 14.

Alaina Petty was 14 years old, and a freshman at MSDHS. Her family described her as vibrant and determined, sharing that she volunteered to help her community after Hurricane Irma. She was also part of the “Helping Hands” program at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Meadow Pollack, 18.

Meadow Pollack was 18 years old, and a senior at MSDHS. She had been accepted into the Lynn University in Boca Raton, who has expressed that they were “very much looking forward to having her join our community in the fall.” She was the youngest of her siblings, and loved spending time with her family.

Helena Ramsay, 17.

Helena Ramsay was 17 years old, and a senior at MSDHS. Her relatives described her as “a smart, kind hearted, and thoughtful person” in a Facebook post. They also noted that Ramsay had planned to attend college next year.

Alexander Schachter, 14.

Alexander Schachter was 14 and a freshman at MSDHS. He played the trombone and baritone in the school’s marching band. Schachter’s family shared on a GoFundMe page that he was “a sweetheart of a kid!” and that he is “survived by his heartbroken parents, three siblings, grandparents, and countless cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends”.

Carmen Schentrup, 16.

Carmen Schentrup was 16 and a student at MSDHS. She as named one of the 53 National Merit Scholarship semifinalists–only one of 10 from the school. Schentrup also had a passion for piano playing, and had just performed on the previous Saturday for the South Florida Music Teachers Association Spring Festival at Broward College.

Peter Wang, 15.

Peter Wang was 15 years old and a Freshman at MSDHS. He was a member of the school’s JROTC program, and was killed in uniform as he held the door open for others to escape. He was looking forward to spending time with his family celebrating Chinese New Year.

The Morse Code extends their condolences to the families and friends of all of these victims, and stands in solidarity with MSDHS.

Sources: NBC News and CNN 

About the Writer
Joselyn Carbonell, Editor-in-Chief

Grade: 12

Most passionate about: Animals, hugging animals, helping animals, saving endangered animals, my betta fish Noodles, and my boyfriend

Teletubby...