Filed under Club Corner, Features

Morse Islander Student Alliance dips their toes into an off campus performance

Back to Article
Back to Article

(left to right) Anne Santos, Kayla Yap, Leilani Demarcos, Julienne Nicodemus at the Black Student Union assembly.

With their pep rally right around the corner, Morse Islander Student Alliance (MISA) recently dipped their toes into a performance off campus to get ready for the big day.

The club took the plunge and performed at Sweetwater High School (SUHI)’s Black Student Union Assembly for the first time on Feb. 2, 2018.

MISA had been asked by the school to perform at the event, as the club has had a history of working with Sweetwater for events in the past, such as their annual culture night.

“We were asked to perform as a way to spread cultural diversity,” said Nani Lisa Schott, the club’s advisor and dance instructor. “It was an honor for us to be invited to perform.”

The group, consisting mostly of sophomores, wanted to make sure that they had enough experience performing in front of their peers before succumbing to the pressure of performing at their very own amphitheater for their first pep rally of the school year.

“It was really nice,” expressed Anne Santos, MISA’s co-captain. “The crowd was great, and the assembly was important, so it was nice to celebrate it.”

Though the assembly was for SUHI’s black student union, the event was for students who wanted to learn about different cultures, and who wanted to share their own.

“Overall,” reminisced Santos, “I think it was a great time for everyone to just come and celebrate their cultures.”

Santos also believed the performance allowed the group to prepare for their pep rally.

“We did really well,” recalled Santos. “I think we rocked our performance, and it helped us get used to performing in front of bigger crowds.”

MISA poses at Black Student Union (BSU) Assembly.

About the Writer
Tyra Callejo-Dennis, Web Master

Grade: 12

Most passionate about: Cryptozoology

Teletubby that relates to you most: Laa-Laa

Favorite book: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Life...