Filed under Features

Morse students will be immersed in nature this summer

Endless mountains. Incredible wildlife. The wonders of nature. This expedition has it all.

Three Morse students have been selected by the Elementary Institute of Science (EIS) to spend their summer camping, hiking, and exploring a unique landscape without worrying about a hefty price tag.

Juniors Emmuelle Ejanda, Rachel Gonzalez, and Jonel Guerrero were accepted into the EIS Teton Science expedition on a full scholarship, where they will conduct research along the Teton Mountains in Wyoming from July 2 through July 27 to enhance their scientific skills.

Their unique experience is set to be based at the Kelly Campus in Wyoming, from which they will explore the Teton Mountains, Jackson Hole Valley, and Yellowstone National Park.

“I’m really looking forward to being surrounded completely by nature,” Gonzalez said. It’s going to be a first for me. Also, I’m excited to learn more about the environment while actually being immersed in it.”

As a way of ensuring that students will focus solely on the environment surrounding them, they will have no access to technology during the four-week program. Their phones will be taken at the beginning of the program, granting them a chance to reflect on life without it.

“Experiencing life without technology, Starbucks, and boba for a straight month will be a challenge,” Guerrero said. “I think this program will be a great break from my gadgets and city life, since I need to learn that I don’t have to be dependent on that stuff.”

To be considered for the program, potential applicants filled out a short form, followed by a 500-word essay offered through the EIS website.

“[The application process] wasn’t rigorous at all, so I feel as if everyone should apply to take advantage of what EIS is offering,” Gonzalez said.

These students will need to develop a high level of social and emotional maturity, and while it is expected for their parents to be highly concerned, most reacted with a sense of pride and support.

“My parents reacted a lot more complacently than I thought they would,” Ejanda said. “I was expecting them to put up more of a fuss than they actually did. They were actually really accepting and proud of me.”

From this incredible opportunity, students will gain the true experience of a life in the woods.

About the Writer
Jennah Espinoza, Opinions and Editoral Editor

"If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." -Roald Dahl

1 Comment

One Response to “Morse students will be immersed in nature this summer”

1. Jooanne Williams on March 24th, 2018 12:21 pm

I think this is a phenominal experience for these students in a beautiful environment. Congratulations to all of them.

• Morse students will be immersed in nature this summer

Features

SCPA Hosts Annual Fil-Am Festival

Features

SPACES Fill Morse Student’s Summer

Features

Morse Tigers vs. Mira Mesa Marauders field hockey league match

Features

Girls Tennis Serves Their Way to CIF

• Features

Tigers Not Tamed

Features

Dancing Their Way to Workshops

Features

Morse Girl’s Volleyball Team Sweeps Senior Night

Features

Recycling Phones to Save Endangered Gorillas

• Features

YPAR Helps GSA Create a Better Community for All

Features

Morse Superstar Rio Evans Takes the Stage