How does gun violence affect school environment?

The United States has had many instances of violence this school year. School violence can come in many forms, with one example being school shootings. Violence in the school’s environment negatively affects students and their capability to learn and, as age increases, so does the prominence of violence. I believe that the government should implement stricter gun laws even though it violates people’s rights to the second amendment.  We should consider safety over guns and violence.

There have been a total of 14 school shootings in 2018 in the United States. Many Morse students can attest that being put under a lockdown because of a gun on campus is terrifying. It puts stress on the police, staff, parents, and most importantly, the students. Students skip school because they don’t feel as if the campus is a safe environment. According to a Study.com research, students drop out of school prematurely because they’re too frightened to be at school or become aggressive themselves. Students that have an unenforced authority amongst a campus result in involvement in bullying, fighting, and weapon carrying. Due to the negative involvement,  according to the CDC, there are lower standardized test scores and high counts of truancy.

This a controversial topic in politics because there are people who believe Congress shouldn’t place stricter gun laws due to the second amendment, which states that everyone in America has a right to bear arms. However, instead of thinking about having their guns to “protect” their homes (when we have the police force), they should think about protecting those students who are fearing going to school because of how easy it is to possess a gun (thanks to those parents who believe they should have guns because of protection).  I understand that there are people who use guns not only to protect their homes but for their own entertainment like hunting. I’m not against having any guns at all, I just want the government to make it harder for people to buy guns. If the government made the process harder to obtain guns (other than going to the nearest Walmart to buy a gun for about $25-$75), then the gun deaths in the country would significantly decrease. Countries like the United Kingdom, Japan, Australia, and Germany have all placed gun control laws after deaths from guns happened in the country. After the laws were enacted, they became the countries with the lowest gun homicides in the world, while America is the leading country. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from these countries.

Giving teachers the right to have their own guns in the classroom for “protection” doesn’t help this situation either; it’s like adding more fire to the fire. Students shouldn’t be afraid to enter school thinking that they might not get through the day because someone could potentially walk into the school at any moment with a gun in their hand, and their teachers can come to “save the day” by shooting the shooter(s) with their “protective” gun. Another school shooting can happen when a student could steal the teacher’s gun when they’re not looking and I know from a personal point of view that there’s been a lot of thefts recorded in this school. It shouldn’t be this easy to buy guns. We need to take action and stop gun violence, and one way how is to implement stricter laws.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “How does gun violence affect school environment?”

1. Diego R Estrada on March 24th, 2018 2:38 pm

The only guns that Walmart sells for that price are air and BB guns. Police take around 10 minutes to come to the crime, having a gun does protect your home. (Police took even longer to get to Morse even though we are on the same street!) UK violent crime tripled while their gun violence decreased, evil people find other ways of killing people. Australia saw a decrease in violent crime, but that was a trend occuring well before the buy back. Nearly all of americas gun deaths are syicide and gang violence. I believe schools should have better armed security in order to decrease the amount of school shootings. Teachers shouldnt have guns, but security guards and police officers should and already do. I believe this because 92% of mass shootings happen in gun free zones. The parkland incident also had their on site officer NOT ENTER THE SCHOOL UNTIL FOUR MINUTES AFTER HE HEARD GUNFIRE. PLUS THERE WERE THREE ARMED DEPUTIES THAT STAYED IN THEIR CARS AND DIDN’T ENTER UNTIL MORE POLICE ARRIVED. That is UNACCEPTABLE. I believe having armed officers that do their job would be more efficient than stricter gun laws.

[Reply]

Lancer Belmont Reply:

> going to the nearest Walmart to buy a gun for about $25-$75
    Funny I haven’t seen guns for that cheap at Walmart or other places.

> Giving teachers the right to have their own guns in the classroom for “protection” doesn’t help this situation either; it’s like adding more fire to the fire.
    I’m mixed on that. If a teacher has been fully trained and knows how to handle that weapon and store it properly, maybe. But if that teacher has no training then no way, no how.

> Countries like the United Kingdom, Japan, Australia, and Germany have all placed gun control laws after deaths from guns happened in the country. After the laws were enacted, they became the countries with the lowest gun homicides in the world, while America is the leading country.
    Does that lessen other types of homicide? People keep talking about Japan and their gun laws and how “effective” they are. The difference between here and there is their respect and attitude for life. It really is NOT a valid comparison.

People keep blaming the guns especially in the Florida incident. What about the other questions: Where was school security? And then you have the responders who didn’t come into the school, why aren’t we asking for their heads? Why aren’t we talking about better response times from these folks who are supposed to protect us? The FBI knew about that shooter TWO MONTHS PRIOR in Florida, but did nothing!

I went to Morse in the late eighties. We had our filipino gangs. Thankfully we had no mass shootings from them (or anyone for that matter). But I remember seeing pics of these gang members that they or their girlfriends would share with classmates. They were brandishing AK-47s. Sorry, in California at the time (and now) you can’t go to Walmart or a gun store and legally buy it “easily.” These guys got them “UNDERGROUND” meaning ILLEGALLY. How do you stop illegal guns sales or distribution?

People keep talking about how “easy” it is to buy a gun at your local gun or sporting goods store and that making it less so will stop the violence. In the state where I live now, I had to go through a background check before I could purchase the guns I have. If I had any felonies or psych problems, that’s it, no gun ownership for me. What’s to stop me from looking underground if I was denied?

If “stricter” gun control laws are the answer then why do places like Chicago (that have one of the toughest gun laws in the country) still have many shootings?

Yes, something has to be done about these mass shootings, but enacting more gun laws is not the end-all-be-all.

There’s a lot more

[Reply]