How badly does “senioritis” affect seniors?

When most people hear the word “senioritis,” they tend to view it as something that everyone commonly suffers toward the end of their senior year. They see that word as something that everyone experiences, a word that is commonplace once they get into the college of their choice. They accept it, almost as a rite of passage.

Yet most seniors fail to realize that “senioritis” has an extremely bad effect on them not just in high school, but in college as well.

Most seniors  assume that senioritis does not have a negative effect on their admission into the college of their choice. However, many of them are wrong. They fail to realize that colleges actually do notice your failing grades and exam scores.

According to admissions counselor Kat Cohen at IvyWise, she says that colleges do notice your entire grades during your senior year.

“We want to make sure students know that colleges look at all four years of high school grades – including your full senior year transcript,” said Cohen. “While you may have only provided the first semester report, if you’re admitted to a college, they will request to see the last of your grades.”

Seniors also assume that because they have been admitted to a college, they can blow off their classes for the rest of the year. However, colleges do have the power to rescind an acceptance if a student has not met specific criteria for their GPA or classes.

An article on NBC News looked at data on how many colleges rescinded student applications after their senior year of high school. They found that the major reason why their applications were rescinded were due to subpar final grades.

“According to the National Association for College Admission Counseling, 22 percent of colleges revoked an admissions offer in 2009, the most recent year that the group collected data of this sort. Final grades were responsible for the majority of the revocations — 65.3 percent — followed by disciplinary information learned about a student and falsified applications.”

People who experience senioritis ask the same question: “If I have it, then how to I avoid it?”

The best thing to do is start off by setting small goals, avoiding procrastination, and taking time out of your day to relax.

Taking time on certain days to take a break and relax prevents you from experiencing laziness and eventually “senioritis” as you progress toward the end of the year.

Another great thing to do is set small goals for yourself. If you have an assignment or project due towards the end of the week, start working on portions of it early to avoid blowing it off later on in the week. If your grades are failing, set goals such as getting passing grades every week, then every progress report, then the whole semester.

According to an article in the Huffington Post, writer Shari Medini says, “You also should have a good idea of what you need to do to get the results that you want. Work smarter so that you keep your grades, make some great memories, & can still take things at a little slower of a pace.”

Lastly, the most important thing to do is to not procrastinate. Even though the exciting opportunities of grad nite, prom, graduation, and college lie ahead, you must stay focused on what is in front of you. Understand that even though you may have goals set ahead for yourself, the school year is not over until those finals are finished in June.

“Senioritis” takes its toll on you and understand that blowing off the rest of your senior year can have detrimental effects now, and in your future. It is important to stay motivated and focused. Don’t look beyond, look at what is happening right in front of you.