Filed under Sports

Senior baseball player shows off his skills

Losses can also lead to victories which feel as satisfying as a home run.

Although Morse’s baseball team lost against Delano High School 1-0 during their spring tournament on March 28, senior Niko Ortega went 1-3 with a single.

Ortega was able to pitch all seven innings, allowing only one run.

“We played great defense,” Ortega noted. “I think I could’ve made some better pitches to certain players.”

Before the tournament started, he conducted research on their competition and devised strategies he can implement, which helped him become confident and positive in the way he played.

He believed that Delano was as competitive against Morse’s baseball team and that their opponents got the best of them.

“Overall, our team hit better as we played the game at the plate,” Ortega mentioned. “The bats just weren’t working that game.”

The team may have lost the tournament overall, but they are using their loss to motivate themselves to practice for future games. Ortega certainly felt that this game gave him determination and that the accomplishment he made showed that he improved.

“I felt it was one of the best games I pitched this season,” Ortega expressed. “It was certainly a plus to boost my confidence for the rest of my season.”

Ortega has been playing baseball since before he went to high school. He wants to continue playing during college and hopes to advance further in the league.

He believes that the brother-like chemistry between the members of the baseball team and their heart to play the game are the best qualities of the team.

“I actually love everything about being on the team,” Ortega described. “From roasting and arguing to joyness and the brotherhood and energy you feel on the field.”

With the support he gains from his teammates and the motivation from his infatuation for the sport, he is guaranteed to be as valuable as a home run.

About the Writer
Patricia Jimenez, Staff Writer
“We gotta slow it down. Remember this moment.” -Monsta X