Filed under Club Corner, Features

Reduce, reuse, recycle; Environmental club hosts Earth Day event

Senior+Ryan+Nguyen+painting+a+paw+onto+junior+Jasmine+Lorenzo+
Senior Ryan Nguyen painting a paw onto junior Jasmine Lorenzo

Reduce, reuse, recycle. We hear these words often, but do we take them to heart?

A group of students wants to spark change in our community beginning with how we treat the environment we share.

Environmental Club hosted an Earth Day event on April 23 in the quad to raise awareness for preserving and giving back to the environment through various earth-focused booths and games.

Complete with an informational booth, photo booth, and face-painting station, the club and other advocates for the Earth began by asking students what they will do for the environment, and what Earth Day means to them.

“Earth Day is about representing what is means to be green,” said senior Ryan Nguyen, member of Environmental Club. “There are a lot of people who pollute and don’t know it. It’s good to be aware of the environment.”

Games, such as musical chairs and a freshman/juniors vs. sophomores/seniors tug-of-war, were also held to heighten the festivities and bring students to the event, where they could learn more about what’s harming the environment and what they can do to help.

“It serves as a reminder that even though we live on Earth, and don’t think about it too much, we have to take these issues seriously,” said junior Jessell Lasam.

The goal of the event was to bring awareness to environmental issues such as climate change, littering, and water pollution. Through the Resolution Tree, which students were encouraged to add to during the event, they could create and environmentally-friendly goal and promise to uphold it through a bracelet.

“I hope it brings students’ attention to the issues that we’re facing and inspires them to learn more about the environment and make positive changes that will benefit our planet,” said club advisor and Advanced Placement (AP) Environmental Science teacher Edwin Gough.

Starting at the school level, students are encouraged to take it upon themselves to care for the environment, whether it begins through picking up a piece of trash from the ground or implementing a new recycling system at home.

“I hope this event benefits the environment around our community,” said senior Ourson Domingo, publicist for the club. “Many in the area don’t realize the situation we are in, and I want this day to make things better.”

From this celebration of environmental dedication, students will learn that caring for the Earth goes beyond a single day.

About the Writer
Jennah Espinoza, Opinions and Editoral Editor
“If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” -Roald Dahl