Filed under Features

Youth at (net)work!

Youth at (net)work!

Morse Tigers met community leaders and learned about new opportunities while attending a conference.

High school students, Danielle de Guzman, Angelina Felipe, and Brittany Jasper, participated in Opportunity Summit 2018: Initiate on April 12, sponsored by the San Diego Workforce Partnership, located in Town and Country San Diego to learn about the county’s young adults who are not working or in school.

During the summit, youth disconnection was addressed by a diverse group of speakers in the region and in smaller, more engaging breakout sessions.

The summit spanned for a total of seven hours from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. A majority of the event was used as a platform for speakers to advocate on the behalf of opportunity youth and analyze possible solutions of prevention. There were also two sessions that gave attendees the ability to choose what specific topic they wanted to focus on, such as youth engagement or mental health.

“The Opportunity Summit was very informative,” said senior Brittany Jasper. “It was full of wonderful resources that young adults may not have had or were unable to find on their own.”

Most of the spokespeople were authority figures from technical companies, criminal justice facilities, and workforce development who drew upon professional and personal experiences.

“One of the hardest things was not having someone who would support and motivate me,” said Desjonae Hixon, a speaker for the event and intern for The Executive Cat Herder. “[I had to learn] to build that confidence in myself. Don’t be afraid to search for something that you want to put your heart into, there are a lot people who are willing to give you a chance—so just take that initiative and go after it.”

The Opportunity Summit gave high school students the chance to hear influential community members discuss how to create an inclusive environment for opportunity youth in the county.

About the Writer
Danielle de Guzman, Web Master
Grade: 12 Most passionate about: the tea  Teletubby that relates to you most: The Noo-Noo Favorite book: Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse Life soundtrack: “John Legend Sings Classic Gordon Ramsay Insults”
1 Comment

One Response to “Youth at (net)work!”

1. dreamer on May 4th, 2018 10:02 am

Thank you for this post. Its very inspiring.

• Youth at (net)work!

Features

The Last Home Game

• Features

APOP Dances Their Way to Competition

• Youth at (net)work!

Features

Fun Home Sets the Stage for Queer Identity

• Youth at (net)work!

Features

Valedictorian defies all odds

• Features

A salutatorian you can bet on

• Youth at (net)work!

Features

The new Queen of Drag takes the throne

• Youth at (net)work!

Features

Arc was all in this together for a team-building trip

• Youth at (net)work!

Features

A show you will always “Remembrandt”: Morse hosts second annual art show

• Youth at (net)work!

Club Corner

Reduce, reuse, recycle; Environmental club hosts Earth Day event

• Youth at (net)work!

Club Corner

Art speaks louder than words in the new Art Expression club