Advice from seniors

As seniors are coming to the end of high school, we’ve seen it all here at Morse. We’ve spent the last four years learning what it takes to make the best out of school and now we have advice to pass on to the next generation of Morse students.

Everyone always says it- don’t procrastinate, but seriously, don’t procrastinate. When you’re an underclassman, you don’t believe anything you do now will affect you in the future. Well guess what, you’re not invincible and what you do now is going to come back to bite you. So start your homework the day it’s assigned, start your project the week it’s given to you, start studying for that test. The more time you spend avoiding your responsibilities, the more stressed out you’ll be when all of the things you’re supposed to do piles up on you. All your hard work will pay off in the end. Manage your time wisely, make time to relax and have fun, but also time to handle your business.

Be active in school! That doesn’t mean you have to become an athlete, but participate more in activities, clubs, and organizations in schools. Branching out and participating in new activities and opportunities at school is a good way to make new friends and quality experiences to look back on! Don’t be that person who says high school was lame but didn’t make any active part in trying to get engaged on campus. There are plenty of clubs on campus that will suit at least one of your interests, whether it be STEAM or art related. Join the school newspaper, ASB, Mesa, cheer, or any other club on campus that inspires you to be involved. And don’t join too many clubs, you don’t want to be stressed out about participating in a club that you don’t even have a passion for. Plus, showing you’re actively participating in school looks good on your college applications because it shows you care. Just finding that one club that makes you excited to be a part of school is all you need to have a great time.

Don’t let friendships and relationships stress you out. School is already stressful enough as it is, you don’t want to have relationships that make your four years here worse. Don’t spend your whole time in school stressing out over people that don’t care about you, focus your energy and love on things that actually make you happy. And remember, it’s okay to cut off toxic people from your life, you don’t owe toxic people anything. You deserve to be happy and healthy and if you’re in an environment that doesn’t make you feel that way, remember it’s okay to leave. Once you’re a senior, you realize that half of the people that caused you so much trouble in school don’t even matter to you anymore. You’ll be onto bigger and better things soon after, so don’t let others negatively impact the little time you have in high school.

Establish meaningful connections with the staff. Your teachers, counselors, and administration affect your four years in high school and the years following it, so it’s important to make good relationships with them. Teachers and counselors are great sources for help whether it be college advice or just life problems. Many of us being first generation students, we don’t really have people at home to turn to when it comes to college and other forms of secondary education, so the school staff are good people to seek guidance from. Remember the staff is here to help you get the most meaningful education you can, so don’t hesitate to reach out to them.

Establish a good support system. Teens like to believe they’re invincible, but they’re not. It’s okay to not always be fine, but remember your health and happiness comes first. Seek help from families, friends, and staff when you’re not okay. Be your own support system, do what you need to do to maintain good mental health. Although it might seem like it, school is not the end of the world, and you’ll survive.

Now this isn’t the rules you must live by in order to survive high school, everyone has their own way of managing their way through this complicated time in our lives that is high school. But after spending four years at Morse, us seniors have come to learn that following this set of advice has allowed us to make the most out of our time here, and we hope it will do the same for you.