Thoughts on the upcoming Tiger Learning Communities

Amidst all the changes that the new administration has brought with them, one that will certainly impact students more than a surface-level makeover and some fancy new signage, is coming into effect relatively soon. If everything goes as planned, sometime next year, we can all expect to be taking twenty minutes out of each day, two days a week, to sit down and participate in TLC– or, the Tiger Learning Committees.

It’s jump-starting a Morse advisory program, summarily. What’s intended for students is something of a communal growth experience, in which we’re meant to grow, and connect, and build with, and uplift each other, all while fostering bonds and connections through the span of a quick twenty minutes a few days out of the week.

After discussing it with students, though, what you come to realize is that it’s generally not being well-received. It’s not a stretch to believe that those who dislike it are just people who don’t fully grasp the concept behind it. It’s a good idea. After sitting in a room with Carlie Nemececk, Morse’s AP Physics teacher and a member of the committee helping to launch the pilot project, and watching as she launches into a description of the dream she holds– a vision of the ultimate form of connectedness and trust– being forged here at Morse High through the use of the TLC’s, it’s hard not to like it.

She goes on to discuss the support the groups would be implicit in providing. It would serve as a platform for students to talk and be heard, both by peers and a campus adult, as well as it is a multitude of resources. Studies have linked advisory periods to nontraditional schools that output more college-going students than schools that lack it. The only issue is the apparent lack of communication with the students, and as far as implementing a communicative tool for students to benefit from goes, that would seem to be a fairly important part. The average student doesn’t know much about it at all, and therefore, doesn’t trust it. Hopefully, this is something that the staff will strive to work on– educating the to-be users of it, and accepting constructive suggestions as they come; students should be intrinsic to the process, both from inside, and out.

Otherwise, though, the change speaks to the progressive overall vision of the new administration.

“The vision we created was one of connectedness, and through that, success in all areas of life.”

A few particulars of the program are still being worked out. Technical issues are being handled, and the whole process is being streamlined. Yes, there are a few teachers who are uncomfortable with aspects of mentorship. Yes, the process is randomized and grade-based– there are some people in your TLC that you may not feel comfortable growing connected with.
But this project is still in its infancy; with time, it’ll become an integrated part of Tiger life. Admittedly, it’s something many rising juniors this year wished that they’d had throughout all four years.

In the traditional way of upperclassman sending unsolicited advice the way of those that follow directly behind them, this article wishes to impart one thing on its reader– take advantage of this opportunity, as laborious as working yourself into the process may be. It’s unique, and bold, which is what Morse needs most– innovation in its stale technique. The administration is fully on the side of the student, and the vision of connectedness brings with it, the vision of a better, more readily accessible future.

About the Writer
Kaelene Chargualaf, Staff Writer
“The readiness is all.”