Filed under News

San Diego Youth Services comes to Morse

The San Diego Youth Services visited classrooms during “Check Your Mood Week” and showed a video, the SOS Signs Suicide Prevention Program, to discuss and collaborate with students about serious topics like bullying prevention and suicidal awareness.

After the video along with a discussion, students completed an anonymous questionnaire stating if any of the topics applied to them or a friend and if they had any questions. The students with questions or concerns will be checked in on with by a San Diego Youth Service staff.

The SDYS work to meet the basic needs of youth, create positive connections, help youth develop life skills, and promote overall health and well-being.

“I think the video does a great job in sending the message out,” said an SDYS worker. “I think our discussion is what further reinforces that video.”

Workers from the SDYS went to Morse for the first time and visited up to 30 to 40 classrooms of all grade levels throughout the week. The presenters went to various classes, but tried to focus on one subject so students do not have to see the same presentation twice.

“My hope for the whole assembly of course is to educate our youth about depression and suicide,” added the SDYS worker.  “For me the most part I want kids to get is to leave that conversation knowing that mental health is important.”

Intervention counselor Gabriela Sosa posted a letter on the Morse High School website explaining why the SDYS program is coming to the school and what they hoped to accomplish following each presentation.

History teacher William Donovan’s four classes listened to the SDYS presenters and watched the 20 minute video. According to Donovan, his students were pretty respectful and paid attention.

“I think it’s a really good cause,” said Donovan. “I thought the presentation was effective and from what I can see I thought it certainly addressed different scenarios that seemed real world.”

About the Writer
Kayla Yap, Staff Writer

Dreams don’t work unless you do.