Filed under Features, Sports

Morse Girl’s Volleyball Team Sweeps Senior Night

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Senior night is basically the last home game where the underclassmen make the seniors feel special.”

Those are the words of junior Danica Corpuz, co-captain of the Morse girls volleyball team about the Girl’s Volleyball Senior Night that was held at the Morse’s gym on Oct. 17, 2018.

It was the last volleyball home game for the season and it was against Kearny High School. Freshman and junior varsity were the first ones to play and they both won their respective sets followed by the varsity.

“I felt that the games went really well and the energy was amazing for our last game,” said senior Judi-Marie Pangelinan.

The home game ended having the varsity team win as well.

“It was an amazing game and an amazing win,” Pangelinan described. “It’s definitely one for the books.”

It was also a special event organized by the team with the help of the coaches for the seven seniors who would be playing their last game in high school.

“It’s a surreal feeling that I just played in my last volleyball game of my last year in high school,” Pangelinan said. “Because it was something that I never expected, I never thought that this day would come, but our supporters made everything so much worthwhile.”

The volleyball team started planning on the senior night towards half way of the season, around Sept. 20, 2018. And the seniors knew about it because it is their special day.

“The only thing that they don’t know is what the underclassmen have for them,” Corpuz said.

Before the varsity game began, the coaches introduced and acknowledged each senior with a small paragraph that they have written. The seniors walked with the people of their choice while the rest of the team members welcomed them with warm applauds as they present them gifts, balloons, and flowers.

“The presents from the underclassmen were so adorable and I loved them,” said senior Je Lise Frank. “I really couldn’t have asked for anything else. The underclassmen put their hearts into the gifts and the posters.”

“I also loved the support from the stands and their energy,” Frank continued.

The team sweeping all three games on the last home game made all their trainings and hard work pay off.

“We took a dub tonight for all three teams,” Frank claimed. “But the win tonight was the best win out of all of my games because I scored the winning point with my serve on the senior night which made it more special. We home that dub!”

Although the senior night marked the last game for the seniors and the last home game for the season, it does not mean that it would be stopping the players from working harder to be a better volleyball player. Nothing would be able to make them forget their will and drive to win every single game.

“What we all have in common is the hunger to win, that’s what gets us through all of it, when everyone has the same hunger, same drive, same mindset then everybody wins and benefits,” Pangelinan concluded.

About the Writer
Janry Custodio, Staff Writer

"If you were born with the weakness to fall, you were born with the strength to rise." - Rupi Kaur