Filed under Features, Uncategorized

SCPA Hosts Annual Fil-Am Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

SCPA Hosts Annual Fil-Am Festival

A festival for the Filipino culture is going to spread throughout the Filipino community.

Filipino American History month is every October and this year it was another return of the Fil-Am festival to the community showing the celebrations of the Filipino heritage such as arts, educators, music, and more.

Fil-Am Festival was held in October and this year it was at San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts (SCPA) on Oct. 27, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for anyone available to attend.

The Fil-Am festival began in the year 2005 and it is still going on today. This festival is about Filipino American arts and culture which brings Filipinos in the community together to have fun and learn about their heritage and culture. It showcases the Filipino arts, culture, heritage, music and more through San Diego.

“Fil-AmFest was first put together by a small group of Filipino community members local to Paradise Hills. They received a lot of support from the office of then-District four San Diego City Councilmember Tony Yolang,” said James Diokno a member of the FilAm Festival Organizing Committee.

A well-known dance in the Filipino culture, Tinikling, was performed by students who attend Bell Middle School. This year there was a demonstration of Filipino martial arts by Doce Pares. There were also booths selling Filipino clothing or jewelry, a booth for registration to vote, food stands such as Kona Ice, Snoice, and more.

With only one day a year of celebrating Filipino heritage there is an importance to sharing and acknowledging this.

“I believe that we were oppressed for so long by other countries and our culture still shined through. This month is about resilience of the Philippines and that’s what I admire,” said junior Nicolas Miranda.

“The importance of spreading Filipino culture, I think it’s really important because I truly think our culture is super fun, mostly every Filipino has a strong bond with one another and we show a symbol of family and friendship,” said junior Samantha Abano.

Any culture takes part in all communities.

“Being a part of any ethnic group is a constant, evolving process. Cultures change for both good and bad reasons, but they never stay the same,” said Diokno.

Filipino American History month is important to many Filipinos as any other heritage would be as important to any other culture.

“My belief of the Filipino Heritage month is that it is very important, not only for us Filipinos to get recognized but also to share our culture with one another and learn how to appreciate it,” said junior Kriselle De Leon.

“It is important to spread the Filipino culture because our culture could teach others, like how we are taught to respect our elders and also to be grateful for what we have,” said Miranda.

The Fil-Am brings Filipinos within the community to come together and learn about their own heritage. Not only does it bring the Filipino community together, but it also gives an important feeling to Filipino students.

“It brings me joy because it allows me to always remember and to recollect what my culture stands for,” said junior Alizza Fortuno.

High school students are truly proud of their Filipino heritage.

“I am proud of my Filipino heritage because it has taught me much traditional activities and little things that I still obtain within myself,” said De Leon.

“Yes, I am very proud of my heritage,” said Abano.

Throughout the past few years of the festival it has changed in some ways. There was a change of location which was on the streets of Paradise Valley Road, Woodman Street, and Potomac Street but now at SCPA. Also, the number of people who attend has decreased within the previous years.

“Fil-Am has change, several kids of young age, are beginning to attend more and more. As well as performers, each year they present additional types of dances or food,” said Fortuno.

“I’ve recently been to Fil-Am and I’ve noticed there were less people although with the help of clubs and students, we would be able to promote Filipino festivals and have more people,” said De Leon.

October is the month of recognition to who Filipinos are and learning about the culture.

About the Writer