Filed under Features

SPACES Fill Morse Student’s Summer

Instead of spending your Summer at home moping around with nothing to do, sign up for Summer Summit to gain an experience of college life!

Students apart of Morse High School describe their experience of spending their Summer time by learning different life lessons and also how to navigate through college as a minority.

Summer Summit is a week long program coordinated by SPACES at UC San Diego, for 10th-12th grade students in the San Diego area, to participate in a program intended to gain the college experience and provide students with new skills.

Morse students, along with other high school students, were able to have the opportunity to attend this resourceful program, and express their views on what they studied and their involvement.

“One of my favorite workshops that we participated in was learning about beauty standards, and how it affects girl’s,” said junior Mary Joy Abuyo, an attendee of the program. “It was interesting to gain knowledge on how social media implements standards that girls are deemed to live up too.”

The program also educated students on the application process of four-year Universities and how to write a thorough personal essay.

“One thing I learned about college overall was that it is okay to go in undeclared,” expressed Samira Huessein, senior and attendee of the program. “ Finding a major has always been confusing, and being reassured that it is okay to not know benefited me immensely.”

Throughout this week long program, students were able to lodge in a suite with other high school students and a mentor, which furthered many new connections and resources.

“I gained knowledge on issues regarding social injustice such as racism, LGBTQIA discrimination, being a first generation college student and immigration topics,” Abuyo stated. “I also learned new skills regarding college, and what majors are offered and how to apply for financial aid.”

Daily workshops were taught throughout each day covering a variety of topics. Some days were more geared towards academic lessons regarding college, while other days focused on issues affecting society overall.

After being on the UC San Diego’s campus for a week, students became more comfortable with the college setting and their peers, making this program extremely beneficial for when attending college actually does come around.

“My favorite workshop that I had participated in would have to be racial ethnicities in the Medical field,” Huessein described. “ This lesson broadened my knowledge on how their are not many people of color in this field and how patients of color are treated horribly, which inspired me to change this inequality.”

Each workshop provided did tailor to many students interest and were very diverse in subjects. Students were able to learn about topics they were passionate about with their peers, while gaining the college experience.

“For those choosing to apply to Summer Summit, I would advise that you should become content with yourself and also be expressive,” said Abuyo. “It is important that you express your opinion on each issue and genuinely just be yourself.”

Students who attend this program overall had a wonderful experience and gained many new connections. This program was free of expense and truly did leave a positive mark on each student’s Summer.

From living in college to coming back to high school in the Fall, Summer Summit was truly one for the one books.

About the Writer
Makhfira Abdullahi, Staff Writer

"There are two conflicting philosophies that I love: "Everything happens for a reason," as well as "you can change everything that you have control over."...