Service Journalism : How to Start a New Years Resolution

As Winter break approaches, some students begin to slack on their classwork, eat more food, spend more money, or continue their bad habits throughout the holiday season. It is okay to behave like that for a short period of time, but as 2018 ends, the bad habits must also come to an end. A New Year’s resolution will definitely get you motivated for the upcoming year and get you on track to making yourself happier.

If you do not know what a resolution is or how to start one, the information below will help you get started.

Find a resolution

A resolution is the act of solving a problem, in this case solving a problem about yourself. For 2019, you want to be a better version of yourself. Some may need more work than others, but everyone can improve themselves mentally, physically, or both.

In choosing a resolution, you should start off by finding out what you want to change about yourself. According to the Forbes Coaches Council from Forbes.com you should start small, making sure your resolution is reasonable and attainable, so you do not set yourself up for failure. Some examples of resolutions would include: eating healthier, managing your time better, or being happier. You want to make sure the resolution you choose is a part of yourself that you are willing to spend the time to improve on so you are less likely to give up.

If you cannot think of anything about yourself to improve on, check out this extensive list of resolutions: https://itsallyouboo.com/unique-new-years-resolution-ideas/

Make a plan

After figuring out what you want to focus on, it is smart to create a plan so you can follow and input it into your daily schedule. Without a functioning plan, you are more likely to not take your resolution seriously and begin to push it away, causing you to be in the same situation you were before with no improvement.

Keeping a planner or having one on your phone will remind you to stay on track and help you see progress. Add or subtract activities from your day to further help you focus. You might want to stop taking naps after school, start homework earlier, or to stop eating during the middle of the night. When you keep a planner, you are able to see your progress, which will further motivate you.

Forbes Coach Council also says it is also a good idea to tell those you trust about your resolution so they can help and remind you of your plan. By having those close to you know about your plan, they can hold you accountable and help you stay focused, so you do not get sidetracked.

Follow through

Now that you have a resolution and a plan, you must execute. The hardest part of a New Year’s resolution is actually having to do what you say. At the beginning of 2019, start your resolution promptly and do not look back. Just focus on what you need to get done to improve yourself.

Keep the future in mind because all the hard work you will put into yourself will for sure pay off in the long run. Even if you do not see or feel a change fast enough, sticking to your resolution will give you a good feeling and encourage you to continue.

Although it is important to stick to your resolution Louise Smith from Gaiam.com suggests not to beat yourself up if you mess up. Mistakes happen, so just continue with your original plan. However, do not be too lenient on yourself or you might give up on your resolution. To find more tips on how to maintain your New Year’s resolution read this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2018/01/23/14-ways-to-keep-sticking-to-your-new-years-resolution/#50d71b975931

Although many fail, you don’t need to start on New Years, it’s just a good starting place

If worse comes to worse and you fail or want to give up, do not dwell on your failure. Learn from what you did wrong and start again. However, you do not need to wait for the upcoming year to start your resolution again, New Year’s is just a good starting place. Begin the resolution process over again and adjust yourself to aim for success. There is no set date on when you should improve yourself. All you need to do is to be motivated and be willing to work on yourself.

About the Writer
Yrah Parfiles, Staff Writer

I won’t hesitate
*gunshot*