Filed under Features

Mock MESA Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mock MESA Day

Competitions? Prizes? An exposure to possible career pathways? These factors are just some of the several aspects of Morse’s Mock MESA Day.

Intending to introduce students to engineering, Morse’s Mathematical, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) club held a Mock MESA Day, a school wide version of MESA Day, in the auditorium on Friday, Dec. 14.

Club students wanted to localize MESA Day, a day wherein students interested in engineering and math gather together at San Diego State University (SDSU) to engage in building activities.

Instead of keeping the day contained in the club and limiting the setting to a place off-campus, MESA club members decided to bring MESA Day to Morse to grant more students, specifically non-MESA club members, the access to participate in activities and have a greater understanding of certain math and science fields they could enter.

“What I like about Mock MESA Day is that everyone gets to experience it. Your enjoyment level can help you decide whether or not you want to pursue a career in math or science. Another plus is getting to meet new people,” noted Junior Andrew Arevalo.

In addition to the greater access of activities made possible by the MESA club, students aspiring to become engineers have found this event both engaging and impactful.

“The Mock MESA Day creates an exciting environment for future engineers,” said Junior
Eduardo Bustos.

Project building competitions, math and puzzle solving activities, food, and prizes were all of Mock MESA Day’s key components. Three projects were made available for students to choose from. The projects focused on building a bridge, a glider, and a car. Each student was required to document the process of all of their creations in their engineering journals. Notably, students were excited to participate and display their creativity.

“Gaining experience and signing up a project expresses your hard work and how you built your creation in the first place, ” said Arevalo.

“I was excited to see how other students used their imagination to create things that can apply to the real world,” stated Junior Dyna Monsalud.

Additional activities included math pong and a rubix cube solving competition. These activities took place as the judges finalized the points and results of the building competitions. The entrance fee was $1 to counterbalance the cost for the materials and the food that MESA provided.

About the Writer
Audrey Meas, Staff Writer

"A journalist asked me how I was doing. I told him, 'I'm all write.' I asked him how he was. He told me he was fine.....print."