Filed under News

Achieve UC Event Brings Opportunity to Morse Students

UC President Janet Napolitano, along with staff and students from all 10 University of California (UC) schools, will be at Morse on Thursday, April 18, 2019 to inform students about the schools.

This UC event was suggested by a Morse alumnus who currently works with UC schools. The event starts at 8 a.m. with a welcoming breakfast reception in Hungry Tiger along with Morse pre-college students.

“They are here to bring awareness to affordability and importance of college to the students, especially the underclassmen,” said principal Cynthia Larkin.

The next activity is a rally and will begin at 9 a.m. in the gym. This part is for ninth and tenth graders and Morse Early Academic Outreach Program (EAOP) students.

After the rally, the next activity is divided into three breakout sessions and will begin at 10 a.m.. The first session will be in the Science Lecture Hall with Napolitano and 60 selected juniors and seniors.

“Twenty of the students selected to talk with president Napolitano are current seniors who are accepted and plan to attend a UC school,” Larkin stated.

The second session is in the auditorium and is for all juniors. They will be informed about financial aid and scholarships. This will continue throughout third period classes.

The last breakout session is career exploration in the gym for all juniors and seniors. Students will be able to look more into careers that they would be interested in after high school.

A UC door decorating contest will be held during period four. Twelve teachers are selected to decorate their doors to represent the UC school they were assigned to (UCLA will be represented three times). First place will receive a pizza party, and second and third place will receive a consolation prize.

“Be creative and unique to represent each UC to encourage students to look more into college,” said vice principal Tara McGuigan.

The last activity will be a resource fair in the quad during lunch. All students will be able to talk to representatives from UC schools to gain any additional information. There will be booths for specific schools, financial aid, admissions, Black Student Union, UCSD Recreation, housing, and more.

“This event is a huge undertaking, and our goal is to get students to start focusing on college right now,” assured Larkin.

About the Writer
Michael Lumaban, Staff Writer

“This quote is due at 3:00 p.m.. It’s 2:59 p.m..”